by Harlequin Presents Editorial Assistant Laura McCallen
I’m so excited to be working with the Presents ladies and can hardly believe I get to spend my days reading stories of passionate love affairs, secret babies and marriages of convenience set amidst glamorous international settings with feisty heroines and, of course, that sexy alpha hero!
Having worked in the Toronto office it’s very interesting to see the similarities and differences in daily
life at Romance HQ here in the UK. The similarities are easy—the people are lovely,
the work is fun, and our authors are some of the nicest (and wittiest!) people in the world.
The differences primarily revolve around…food! The crucial nature of the ‘tea break’ has been impressed upon me and I now know that the fabled ‘treat shelf’ is the best cure for any lulls in energy. My co-worker’s eyes always light up when they find I haven’t tried a specific traditional British dish and I never know whether to be excited or concerned! So far, I’ve been introduced to Scotch eggs, pork pies and flapjacks (which are not, as it turns out, the same thing as pancakes!). I’m curious to see what they’ll come up with next…
I thought the best way to get right down to the good stuff would be to share some fun facts about myself. In no particular order:
- This is actually the second time that I’ve lived in England. I completed my MA in Early Modern History at The University of Manchester where my dissertation focused on Elizabeth I. I liked it so much I’ve been wanting to come back ever since! The history, the architecture, the culture, the landscapes, the locals…what’s not to love about the UK?!
- I am ever-so-slightly (completely) obsessed with the royal families of Europe. If you have a question about the line of succession in Denmark or Sweden I will undoubtedly have the answer!
- I started my career working in higher education textbook publishing before making the leap into fiction. Unsurprisingly, fiction is a lot more fun!
- I love to travel and have been fortunate enough to visit (so far) England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy, France, Monaco, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Estonia, Russia, Mexico, the US and every province and territory in Canada.
- I love to sew and have recently finished my first full-size quilt. I’m also quite handy making shirts and bags.
- I’m a yogi and find nothing more relaxing then a hot yoga practice.
I’d love to hear any fun facts about you and any suggestions for British foods to try or new and exciting places to travel!