Fire and Ice, by Nicola Marsh

by Nicola Marsh, author of Her Bad, Bad Boss (Harlequin Presents Extra, May 2011)

I’m an avid reader.  I devour books; have ever since I was a kid.

I read widely, across genres and could happily spend a day/week/month curled up with my nose in a book.

For me, part of the appeal of reading is getting engrossed in another world, being so absorbed in the characters’ lives that I’m almost there alongside them, laughing and crying and feeling their pain.

It’s sheer pleasure to be swept up in the fantasy as I turn the pages, eager to reach the end yet reluctant to do so because I love the story so much.

So what helps sweep me along?

The setting.

I’m a sucker for an exotic setting, a place that brings the book alive.

How many of you have read a book set in Paris and can see the Eiffel Tower?  A Roman book with the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps?  Venice with its charming waterways and gondolas?

Mention a city in the world and someone will have an instant mental image of what that place is like.

That’s what I hoped to evoke with my current Harlequin Presents Extra release, HER BAD, BAD BOSS.

Set in Alaska, I tried to bring the place alive.  Guess it helped I visited places like Skagway and Glacier Point on my honeymoon!

(Yes, I canoed out to the glacier like Rhys and Jade.  No, there was no hot tub involved during my honeymoon.  Not that I’m telling you…)  :)

Do you have any favourite settings around the world?

Happy armchair travels!

1. Marilyn Shoemaker
    May 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Nic, I loved this boo! Like you, I’ve done this shore excursion both in Skagway and in Juneau. Great way to get up close and personal with nature.

2. Melanie Milburne
    May 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Hi Nicola,
    Your honeymoon sounds like it was wonderful! I haven’t been that far north but I would like to. Four years in Scotland was cold enough!

3. Nicola Marsh
    May 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Your so right, Marilyn, Alaska is wonderful for getting up close with nature.

So beautiful and inspiring :)

4. Nicola Marsh
    May 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm

It was, Melanie :)

I enjoyed the cold: getting rugged up, getting cosy…!

5. Ally Blake
    May 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm

What a gorgeous choice for a book’s setting…and a honeymoon for that matter! I’m with you in that I love the ‘escape’ to exotic places while lying back on my couch in my PJs ;).retsch Geo.

6. Annie West
    May 13, 2011 at 12:43 am

Nice, Alaska for your honeymoon sounds tremendous! I feel cold thinking about it but would still love to visit.

I love escaping to other places in stories – both those I read and those I write. My current book had me daydreaming about living in Salzburg instead of just visiting. It’s fantastic reading other authors’ takes on various locations. It’s one of the things I enjoy about Presents.

7. Nicola Marsh
    May 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

Totally agree, Ally, there’s nothing nicer than escaping to fab places while curled up on the couch!

8. Nicola Marsh
    May 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

It was cold, Annie, but so lovely rugging up and drinking yummy hot chocolates!

Ooh…Salzburg sounds fab!