Travels with "The Bride Thief", by Jennie Lucas

By Jennie Lucas, author of The Bride Thief (Harlequin Presents, January 2011)

It was a thrilling moment. Last September, when Lynn Raye Harris and I were in London to attend the AMBA (Association of Mills and Boon Authors) luncheon and champagne toast to authors, we spent our last day in England touring nearby Windsor.

And there, on the shelf of the local bookstore of this picturesque town, I actually saw my book for sale! It was the first time I ever saw that outside the U.S., and I’ll never forget my delight.

Now, this same book has just been released in North America with a new title – The Bride Thief. In the story, a bride is kidnapped from her wedding by a Greek tycoon, Xerxes Novros, who was introduced in my last book Sensible Housekeeper, Scandalously Pregnant. (He is beyond ruthless – in fact, my original working title for The Bride Thief was The Villain’s Virgin!) He drags Rose around the world, to his private Greek island, to the Maldives, and finally to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

And guess what? That’s where I’m going on Monday. In one of my all-time-best Christmas presents ever, my own husband is whisking me to Cabo San Lucas, just like Rose, for a four-day getaway at a luxury beachfront resort. We haven’t had a romantic getaway in… hmmm….maybe the Nixon administration? So when I opened his gift Christmas morning and saw the itinerary, I wept with joy. For real.

My kids, panicking: “What’s wrong, Mommy? Why are you crying?”

Me: “Nothing’s wrong” (sniff) “I’m just so” (sob) “haaappppy.”

So I’m getting ready to pack and trying not to worry about the holiday pounds that have left me something less than bikini-ready. I’m telling myself that after a few margaritas, I won’t care how I look. And anyway, my husband likes me how I am. (A true Presents hero!)

But I’d love to know – does anyone have any tips for how a girl can feel confident in a bikini with an extra five (*cough* ten) pounds?

Jennie

1. Amy
    January 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

What a great Christmas present, Jennie! Hope you have a fabulous time!

Bikini-confidence tips? Well, I’ve only worn one once or twice…definitely helps to be surrounded by strangers you’ll never see again and/or a guy who thinks who thinks you’re gorgeous no matter what 🙂

2. Abby Green
    January 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Jennie Lucas, I am sure that you are looking as svelte and glam as ever so go off on your luxury holiday and enjoy every minute and don’t be worrying about anything! That’s an order! Sounds absolutely divine, and I am extremely jealous, but very happy to know you’re going to enjoy it!

3. Malle
    January 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Love the photos, Jennie! You and Lynn looked like you were having a super time. Now you must send us pictures of sunny Mexico. It’s a snowstorm in Toronto today. Okay, exaggeration, but there is a lot of snow.

4. Sharon Kendrick
    January 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Wear a filmy sarong in a colour which suits you (like yellow!) when you perch on the bar-stool and slowly sip your daiquiri….

5. Jennie Lucas
    January 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Amy, thanks! And you’re right… why should I feel self-conscious around strangers, if the only one I truly care about thinks I’m fine?

Abby, you are so sweet. Thanks for all your nice words. I’m thrilled to make you jealous – hehe! Especially since every time I turn around it seems you’re jetting off for Italy or New York on these glamorous locations. Oh, and did I mention you hang out with movie stars?!! *big hugs*

Malle, it seems like it’s snowing everywhere right now, doesn’t it? I just took my minivan to the car wash this morning, and so of course it immediately started snowing here, too. I’ll try to get some pictures of Mexico but not sure we’ll even leave the hotel much. 😉 All I want to do is sit by the pool with a book, my guy and a couple margaritas…bliss!

Sharon, funny you should mention yellow – I was just trying to think of what I might have in my closet that would work, and I remembered the yellow dress I wore when you and I toured Lucca, Italy. (I have pictures of that day at http://www.jennielucas.com/snapshots/08posara.htm ). A sarong is a good idea but it doesn’t cover up the belly, and I’m not a dedicated runner like you. You are so inspiring with your trim physique. If I had a figure like yours, Sharon, I’d wear bikinis to the supermarket. *g* (Note to self: take up running!)

xx Jennie

6. Lynn Raye Harris
    January 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Oh wow, did we ever have a blast! I’d forgotten about that photo in Windsor — love it!

I have no bikini tips. I wear a one piece. 😉 And I did take up running, but then I quit right around the holidays because of an injury and now I desperately need to shed those pounds again. *sigh*

So awesome imagining you crying from happiness when you opened your gift. Have a fabulous time!

January 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Wow Jennie, if the generosity of the gift is a reflection of the way he feels about you I don’t think you have much to worry about 🙂

Great photos and I enjoyed that story so much.

8. Jennie Lucas
    January 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I had such a great time with you in England, Lynn! Thanks for being my roommate. It was great to live in London, even if it was only for a week.

Sarah, thanks for your nice words! And I’m glad you liked the photos. Windsor is a beautiful town. I loved it there. 🙂

I just went to Target this afternoon and bought a couple of cover-up dresses to wear over the swimsuit. That, plus the fact that my white skin will surely blind anyone who looks straight at me, is currently my bikini-wearing strategy. Thanks for the tips guys!

9. Maurine
    January 19, 2011 at 11:36 am

Confidence is sexy!

I loved “The Virgin’s Secret” and I heartily recommend to all.

Enjoy your trip to Cabo. I was there a couple years ago on a cruise. I went snorkeling, but it was disappointing–rocky waters, near rocks, etc. I hope you have a lot of fun!

10. Maurine
    January 19, 2011 at 11:36 am

Did you go to Windsor Castle? When I went, I didn’t really explore the town. Just to the castle and back.