The Rebel Son Returns, by Janette Kenny

by Janette Kenny, author of Innocent in the Italians Possession (Harlequin Presents, June 2010)

There’s a deliciously dangerous threat that pulses on the pages when the rebellious son comes home.  This is the man whose views were way outside the box.  The man who refused to conform.  The one who snubbed his nose to tradition in favor of a better way—his way.

His only chance to succeed was to escape his constraints.  That was the only way he could flourish.  And oh, how this hero can prosper when left to his own devises!  Give the rebel clout and a reason he must return home and he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with.  When he takes over the family or rival business, it will put everyone on edge.

I love it when the rebel leaves the life he was born into under less that hospitable circumstances, for this type pain is what fuels the inner drive in him that knows no bounds.  He’s made his own fortune through dint of will, superb business instincts and courage.  He has proven his naysayers wrong, and he likely strikes fear and/or awe in his detractors.

His stellar achievements force others to look up to him simply because he’s the type of man who commands respect.  He likely has an ax to grind, with any number of people, or the situation, he’s trust into.  Sparks really fly when he’s opposed to the heroine!

Stefano Marinetti, the hero in my June Presents, Innocent in the Italian’s Possession, is that rebel.  He was the second son, the one who took a backseat to everything in the family, including their shipbuilding business.  His innovative ideas for improving sea worthy vessels was immediately met with opposition.

So Stefano had no choice but leave the family fold, because he refused to play second fiddle to his elder brother.  Because he believed there was a better way.

Now the estranged son has been begged to take over the family business in the wake of tragedy.  Stefano doesn’t want to be there.  Doesn’t have the heart to build up the business that his father has nearly destroyed, which Stefano is sure, in part, is due to his father lavishly romancing his sexy, young secretary.

But he won’t turn his back on his father either.  His Italian blood boils with vengeance for he perceives Gemma Cardone is a heartless mercenary.  There is only one solution in Stefano’s mind – revenge!

Gemma is caught in an untenable situation, honor bound to hold the secret that would tear apart Stefano’s fragile family.  There’s only way she can prove her innocence without divulging the truth–surrender herself to Stefano.  That’s a prospect that becomes oh, too tempting!

I’m thrilled to announce that Innocent in the Italian’s Possession was a top-ten romance, and it marked my debut appearance on the USA Today Bestseller list!

I hope you enjoy Stefano’s and Gemma’s journey to love as much as I enjoyed writing it!  Do you have a favorite second son, or rebel hero story?  What is it about Italian men that makes them so sexy?

1. Christina Hollis
    June 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Congratulations on your listings, Janette!
    Where to start with the allure of the Italian male – self assurance, charisma, that sexy accent, and if he has dark curls and flashing eyes to match it’s all there in one irresistible package…

2. Kate Hewitt
    June 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Congratulations, Jan! I love Alpha heroes who are younger siblings. Not only does it provide great emotional conflict, but it gets them asserting their Alpha-ness when their families seek to repress it, making them stronger for it. My last hero had five older sisters–now that was fun to write 🙂 Enjoy your success!!

3. Melanie Milburne
    June 17, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Janet it sounds like you’ve got a winner here: an Italian hero and dark secrets and a gorgeous heroine. Brilliant!
    Congrats on the listing.

4. Janette Kenny
    June 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Oh, so true, Christina! And thanks!

Kate, that would be a fun challenge to write. Can’t wait to read it.

Thanks, Melanie. I certainly hope it is. It certainly feels that way to me just being listed with such fabulous Presents novels!

5. Heidi Rice
    June 18, 2010 at 9:45 am

Hi Janette

Enjoyed your post immensely… And in answer to your question about what makes Italian men so sexy – I posted a photo on my blog this week of the Italian football team in the World Cup which I think illustrates the answer – in a purely visual sense, you understand – perfectly.

Yum!

Heidi x

6. Abby Green
    June 18, 2010 at 11:10 am

Jan well done on the listings! And as for rebel heroes – they’re certainly compelling. You’re giving me all sorts of ideas now! Can’t wait to read the book! x

7. Trish Morey
    June 19, 2010 at 1:44 am

Ooh, the prodigal returns… I’m loving it already, Janette!

Congratulations on the release and the listings. Great going!

8. Sharon Kendrick
    June 21, 2010 at 4:33 am

Jan, your last sentence asks: What is it about Italian men that makes them so sexy?

Are you KIDDING?
    For me it’s not simply that knockout combination of dark complexion, eyes and hair – coupled (mmm) with the ability to wear really amazing clothes without looking as if they’ve tried too hard. I think it’s the confidence which is instilled in them from birth. That way they have of looking coolly at a woman. Appraising her from head to toe, making her think that there is nothing he doesn’t…..CENSORED!

9. Marilyn Shoemaker
    June 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Late in posting this but as I’m writing the review I was researching the “behind the book” story which I try to include in my reviews.

This book was truly amazing!