First Crushes & Embarrassing Moments by Natalie Anderson

by Natalie Anderson, author of Hot Boss, Boardroom Mistress (Harlequin Presents Extra, May 2010)

Remember your first crush? I’m talking your first seriously stirring, pulse racing, can’t-sleep-or-eat-for-thinking-about-him crush? The guy who somehow had the power to rule your state of mind – you were happy if he so much as looked at you, devastated if he didn’t… and you were constantly waiting for the moment you might next see him.

Full on, intense… and surely not destined to last…

In Hot Boss, Boardroom Mistress, Amanda Winchester had that kind of crush on Jared James. Jared who worked on her grandfather’s farm – Jared who most certainly never made her happy because he never seemed to look at her.

But Amanda was an only child, cared for (read spoilt!) by her grandfather. Amanda was used to getting what she wanted – and she wanted Jared James. So on her sixteenth birthday, Amanda set out to get her most prized present all for herself.

It’s excruciatingly embarrassing isn’t it? Making an absolute fool of yourself when caught in the bonds of an obsession.

But it’s even worse when you meet that guy ten years later and all those feelings you thought you’d grown out of come hurtling back.

And it’s worse still when you learn a few truths, see things with an adult perspective, and realise that all those overwhelming feelings were merely a precursor to something with far more depth and potential for causing you pain.

I never had the kind of chutzpah Amanda had as a teen – but I have to admit I admire her for it! It took guts to do what she did, and as an adult she still has guts – to work as hard as she does, to do what’s necessary for her family. And it’s her strength and passion that cause a very tortured Jared so much heartache!

But I do remember those feelings of an intense crush – and my friends and still I laugh over some of the dumb things we did when trying to get some (probably clueless) guy’s attention. For several of us it seemed to involve baking for some odd reason – maybe we got that ‘to his heart though his stomach’ maxim at an early age.

So did you ever do anything totally crazy when in the grips of a teen crush? I think my most pathetic was walking my dog for miles so I could wander ‘by chance’ in the neighbourhood where he lived – but I was too chicken to actually go past his house!

Still, I guess me and my dog both got a little fitter… how about you? Got any cringe stories to share?

1. Tweets that mention Share your first crush stories with Natalie Anderson, author of HOT BOSS, BOARDROOM MISTRESS, at I ? Presents: -- Topsy.com
    May 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Harlequin Books. Harlequin Books said: Share your first crush stories with Natalie Anderson, author of HOT BOSS, BOARDROOM MISTRESS, at I ? Presents: http://bit.ly/dfEXVS […]

2. Susan Wilson
    May 3, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Natalie, saw the boy I had my first crush on at school, in Asda last year. It gives me absolute pleasure to tell you that a) he was fat b) he had got really ugly and c) he looked sad and lonely. And me? For once in my life I looked a milllion dollars, had the full make up on, and gorgeous clothes. I don’t need to tell you what happened at school – I just need to tell you I took great pleasure in sweeping past him and looking at him as if he were one of those tiny bugs in your toilet that kill with super strength domestos and a huge flush!

3. Soraya
    May 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I think all romance readers must be able to remember crushes like that . . . isn’t that what makes us love romance stories? I remember doodling names in love hearts in class and daydreaming about true love . . . would love to see what those guys look like now!

4. Maisey Yates
    May 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Oh my, I had a huge crush on this one boy for over a year. I was thirteen and I never could speak to him. But he won a bag of mini candy bars in a game at church and gave me one…and I saved it…for well over a year. It was an interesting science experiment when I actually opened it. (when I was over the crush, of course)

One of my other big crushes was a very good friend of mine, and I’m happy to say he’s as great now as he was then. And he’s getting married in a couple weeks to a very wonderful girl. And I’m invited. It’s nice when you don’t have to look back on a crush and say “WHAT WAS I THINKING??” LOL. I have one of those…but that’s another story entirely.

5. Rachael Johns
    May 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm

LOL – Maisey – one year is NOTHING!! I liked my first boyfriend from when I was fourteen till I was twenty-one!! AND I only ended up going out with him for five months of that time when I was seventeen. I’m pathetic!!
    Loved your book Nat!

6. Natalie Anderson
    May 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Oh Susan I’m guessing this guy totally crushed you back when you were a teen!!!
    It’s a bit weird seeing someone from the past isn’t it?! Is one of the things that weirds me out about Facebook … there are some things (and people) that are just better left in the past 😉

7. Natalie Anderson
    May 3, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Oh Soraya – is it the crushes that make us romantic, or do we have crushes because we’re romantic?!?!? Too tricy a chicken/egg question for me! 🙂

8. Natalie Anderson
    May 3, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Maisey – you saved it for over a year?!?!?! Why not just eat the choc and keep the wrapper?!?! That’s so what I would have done 🙂

But you’re right, it’s nice to have a crush that you still ‘like’ but not like that – who just wasn’t the right one for you… sort of good to know your taste didn’t totally suck right up til you hit the jackpot huh?!

9. Natalie Anderson
    May 3, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Rachael – WOW – that is some serious candle burning!!!!!!! What finally snuffed it for you????

And so glad you loved the book 🙂

10. Jackie Ashenden
    May 4, 2010 at 1:02 am

I had a crush on the boy next door. No embarassing stories about him though. I have to admit that my biggest crush was for a hero in a book! Even then it was all about the hero… 😉

11. Brigitte
    May 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

Funny you speak about Facebook, Natalie. I’m meeting my first major crush, re-found through FB after 26 years, this coming Friday!! We dated for a year at the time and then sort of drifted apart. Actually I realised later that he was not “international” enough for me.

I spoke to him on the phone, and he was mighty nervous; I found that sort of cute! And before you ask, yes, DH knows I am meeting him for lunch at a restaurant. Was he better left in the past?! Will have to get back to you on that one.
    And…nothing embarrassing to tell, I’m afraid.

12. Maisey Yates
    May 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Yes, it is nice to know I wasn’t totally crazy…but I’m not sorry at all that I waited on the jackpot. 🙂 My hubby’s the best.

And if you would have eaten the candy, clearly you’re only half as crazy as I am.

13. Lucy Monroe
    May 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Oh, the memories your post evoked! My BF and I had crushes on brothers in high school and one day at lunch, we realized how obvious we were. Instead of being embarrassed, we were hugely amused and laughed so hard she snorted her water and I? Snorted cottage cheese straight out my nose. Now that? Was mortifying! LOL

Your book sounds fabulous!

14. Rachael Johns
    May 5, 2010 at 1:03 am

LOL Natalie – I think it was meeting my now-husband!

15. Maisey Yates
    May 5, 2010 at 3:04 am

Woo! Go Rach’s husband! 😉 He must be some kinda somethin’..

16. Melanie Milburne
    May 5, 2010 at 7:25 am

Gosh, I remember that stage of being so in love with someone who wouldn’t have noticed me at all. I cringe to think about it now. Luckily I didn’t do anything embarrassing but I still remember that lovesick feeling. What was I thinking? I got the best guy in the world once I grew up a bit!
    Natalie, I think your story premise is fantastic. I can’t wait to read it.

17. Marilyn Shoemaker
    June 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I realize no one will probably see this post as it’s over a month old. Just wanted to say, I loved Hot Boss……second chance books are some of my favorite.