Sandra Marton Shares More About Blackwolf’s Redemption

by Sandra Marton, author of Blackwolf’s Redemption (Harlequin Presents, Men Without Mercy series, May 2010)

A little over a year ago, my editor—hi, Jo!—contacted me with an question. Would I like to do something different for Presents?

I think she probably already knew my answer. I adore writing for Presents. I also adore trying things that are different but what, exactly, would the “different’ part involve?

Jo said Presents was thinking about doing a mini-series called Men Without Mercy. I said loved the title! It was pure Presents. Yes, she said, and the books would be pure Presents, too. Alpha heroes. Independent heroines. Lots of sexy passion and soul-deep romance–but with a retro twist.

I think I said something really smart, like “Huh?”

She said a retro twist meant a Presents in which a 21st century heroine comes face-to-face with a 20th century man.

A tough-minded heroine. A gorgeous, sexy, powerful, arrogant hero from a decade in which tough-minded women just didn’t exist. It sounded wonderful. When Jo asked if I’d like to do the first book, I said something along the lines of “Just try and stop me!”

“What ifs” began dancing through my head. I knew I needed two strong people, a powerful setting, a conflict (or two!) deep enough to keep them apart. And, of course, a meaningful way to deal with that retro twist.

Hmm.

What if my heroine was a graduate student in anthropology? It’s dawn on the morning of the summer solstice. She’s with her colleagues at an ancient sacred site in a Montana canyon. The old ones who once inhabited the canyon believed this event, at this place, held mystical powers. My heroine doesn’t believe that, of course. She’s a scientist.

And what if my hero owns the enormous, very successful ranch that contains the canyon? The site was sacred to his ancestors—he’s part Comanche, part Sioux, part plain-vanilla Westerner—but not to him. Not anymore. He’s turned his back on the old legends  after his experiences as a Special Forces warrior. In fact, he’s  about to sell his land. Still, something impels him to ride out to view the solstice one last time on this particular morning.

My story was coming together. My characters were coming alive. They whispered their names to me. She was Sienna Cummings. He  was Jesse Blackwolf. And they told me one more thing.

For Sienna, the year is 2010. For Jesse, it’s 1975.

I have written books in which the words seemed to flow out of my fingertips but I’ve never had an experience like the one I had writing BLACKWOLF’S REDEMPTION. I could hardly keep away from the computer! I love these characters and I needed to tell their story… and now, I invite you to join Sienna and Jesse on a journey of the heart that will be, I promise, unlike any you’ve taken before.

With love,

Sandra

Note: Borders True Romance blog is also talking about the Men Without Mercy series today! Click here to read what they thought about Blackwolf’s Redemption. ~Amy

1. Tweets that mention Sandra Marton Shares More About Blackwolf’s Redemption at I (Heart) Presents -- Topsy.com
    April 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Harlequin Books, Keira. Keira said: Sandra Marton Shares More About Blackwolf’s Redemption – http://is.gd/bvzc3 (time travel harlequin presents) […]

2. sandra marton
    April 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

I’ve been reading the rest of the responses to yesterday’s blog–and I’m thrilled so many of you are already reading Blackwolf and love the book.

Yes, India, my guy has paint on his face. He also has long hair, held back at the nape of his neck with a length of deerskin but I think the art dept got slightly nervous at the thought of depicting Jesse like that. Not us women, right??? We know what’s sexy.

Susan, my oh my, it takes a lot to make me blush but you did it. To think I had a hand in inspiring such a wonderful writer… I’m touched.

There’s more to say but I need to check back at yesterday’s blog… Be right back.

3. sandra marton
    April 16, 2010 at 11:00 am

I’m so pleased with the things Danny and Tina said about trying something different. And Christina and Trish… lovely to see you here, and to know you’re positive about this dip back in time.

Jackie… I’m thrilled you’re reading the book, and I agree with your description of Jesse. It’s how I feel about him but then, my viewpoint might be a bit skewed…

By the way, I put a pair of quotations in the book. You’ll see them on the back of the title page. Both go a long way toward explaining how I felt, researching and writing Blackwolf’s Redemption.

The first is from Albert Einstein who said: “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”

The second ifrom Monte Python, whose themewords were almost always… “And now for something completely different.”

4. sandra marton
    April 16, 2010 at 11:39 am

Sue–Susan Stephens–I am thrilled you’re doing the next retro. I am a huge fan of yours and I can’t wait to read your book! If only I didn’t have to wait so long…

5. Michelle Willingham
    April 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Sandra–I’ve pre-ordered it on my Kindle and can’t wait to try it! 🙂 I LOVE Native American heroes. Yummy. 🙂

Your quotes are too funny. I keep thinking to myself that some day I might try to slip in a Monty Python reference with one of my medieval warriors. “It’s just a flesh wound!”

Hee. 🙂

6. Anna Adams
    April 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I’ve also just pre-ordered for my Kindle! I love mystical happenings at the summer solstice.

Can’t wait for May 1!

(How funny–my captcha was present divvied!)

7. sandra marton
    April 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Absolutely, Michelle. Hey, nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition…

Note to non-Python fans: it was, still is in re-runs, a great show!

8. Michelle Willingham
    April 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Sandra–I’m not dead yet! I feel like going for a walk! (grins)

9. Caitlin Crews
    April 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Oh, and now I’m even more excited for this book!

April 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Sandra, I’m reading Blackwolf’s Redemption now and I’m loving it. It’s fabulous. Jesse is such a gorgeous hero and I love the conflict and the way you handled the time shift – such a brilliant book. It will be on my keeper shelf, along with your others!

11. sandra marton
    April 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I hope that all of you who read, will read, are reading Blackwolf’s Redemption fall in love, at least a little, with Jesse. He’s got a permanent place in my heart. I can never resist reading or creating a man who’s brave, strong, sexy and ruggedly good-looking… and when his heart, his soul, call it what you will, is wounded the way Jesse’s is…

Anna, love your captcha. Sarah, I’m thrilled to know I’m on your keeper shelf.

Thank you all for stopping by, and for your warm comments,

12. Lynn Raye Harris
    April 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Sandra, I can’t wait for this book! It sounds so divine! I cut my teeth on those late 70s, early 80s Presents. I will positively swoon for Jesse, I know!

13. Trish Morey
    April 17, 2010 at 1:08 am

OOher Sandra, now I’m torn! My new Sony ebook reader arrives next week – the one I bought to save us from the leaning tower of category (and we had an earth tremor last night – the risk of that tower collapsing is very real!) and I know I’ll be able to download Blackwolf’s Redemption straight on for some instant gratification.

But I think I want this one for my keeper shelf too…

Might have to get myself two copies:)

Susan, fabulous to hear you’re next in line! I love the sound of these books.

14. Kate Walker
    April 17, 2010 at 3:04 am

Sandra – Blackwolf is right at the top of my TBR mountain right now and as I just sent in the latest revisions, guess how I’ll be rewarding myself today.

I’m intrigued to see how you handle this fascinating concept. And I’m really happy to see the Presents line being pushed – streatched – into . . .well, no not new directions. The time slip element of this bok may be new but the Presents line has always been open to a wide range of stories, characters and themes. That’s one of the reasons why it’s such a great line (OK, I’m biased and I admit it!) But the wonderful thing about the Presents line is the way that within the story of a great romance the scope is wide open. I just recently did a book for another new project – based on the Greek Myths and I’m working on a different one now. The Presents concept is that a powerful, once in a lifetime love can work in spite of all odds – even time ! isn’t it?

– So looking forward to seeing how you work this theme – and the others that are coming up. It’s that special emotional intensity that matters and I know that’s guaranteed

Kate

15. Jennie Lucas
    April 19, 2010 at 9:46 am

It sounds amazing Sandra! I can’t wait to read it!

Jennie

16. Denyz Henderson
    May 24, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I am a regular fan of Sandra, but i absolutely hated this book! I wish it was not too late for a refund! I just did not get the whole point of writing a “time traveler” for harlequin.**

Sandra, will continue to look forward to reading your future books, and hopefully nothing like to the last.