Jennie Lucas on Tamed: The Barbarian King – the Second Book of the “Dark-Hearted Desert Men” Series

by Jennie Lucas, author of Tamed: The Barbarian King (Harlequin Presents, May 2010, Dark-Hearted Desert Men miniseries)

Here’s a picture of me with one of my co-conspirators, taken in London in 2008 – that’s Trish Morey on the left.

Last month, Carol Marinelli’s book, Wedlocked: Banished Sheikh, Untouched Queen, told the story of a king who discovered he was not the trueborn heir of Qusay. This month, The Dark Men of the Desert series continues as his three royal cousins are forced to decide who will take the throne!

My hero is the eldest, Kareef Al’Ramiz.

It was fascinating to write the story of a powerful man – a half-barbarian sheikh just returned from the desert – who knows he loves and wants only one woman, right from the very first page.

After thirteen years in New York, Jasmine has returned to Qusay to marry a wealthy older man for the sake of her family. That makes her absolutely forbidden to Kareef, as is his knowledge that he must marry a virgin princess who can give him an heir. But as honorable as Kareef is, how can he surrender Jasmine to another man’s possession? Especially since they share a secret that could destroy everything for them both….

I loved writing this book, especially since it meant working with Carol Marinelli, Trish Morey and Annie West. They are so great!

While writing Kareef and Jasmine’s story, I drew a map of Qusay just for fun. For various reasons related to Annie’s plot, we ended up turning this map upside down, so it’s not really accurate anymore (and I’m not sure how much the other girls really used it anyway), but I thought you might get a kick out of seeing it!

The fictional desert island kingdom of Qusay (just turn it upside down *g*)

Like Carol, I am eagerly awaiting the final two books in the series, Forbidden: The Sheikh’s Virgin by Trish Morey in June and Scandal: His Majesty’s Love-Child by Annie West in July. I am dying to see how it all turns out, and see if all four sheikhs have happy endings – and are ultimately tamed by the strong, loving women they deserve.

Happy reading,

Jennie

1. Tweets that mention New I ? Presents blog post: author Jennie Lucas on her Dark-Hearted Desert sheikh, #2 in the series! -- Topsy.com
    April 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Harlequin Books, Tawania Etheridge. Tawania Etheridge said: RT @HarlequinBooks: New I ? Presents blog post: author Jennie Lucas on her Dark-Hearted Desert sheikh, #2 in the series! http://bit.ly/9sF9DA […]

2. bing
    April 26, 2010 at 10:37 am

i really really love this story. i cried over it. when you start reading this you just can’t put it down unless you are finished. there’s no dull moments in the book. i so love the hero. i hope there’s still guys like him who is not afraid to express his love. c”,)

3. Abby Green
    April 26, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Jennie – I’m loving this series..! Have read yours and Carol’s and have really enjoyed them. Can’t wait for Trish and Annie’s now – All those tortured emotions and gorgeous heros are so irresistible- just what I’ve needed to inspire me for my own current WIP!

4. Jennie Lucas
    April 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Thanks, Abby! What a lovely thing to say!

While I was finding that picture of Trish and me (unfortunately I don’t have any pictures with Annie or Carol), I saw pictures of you and India (Grey) that made me grin. We were on our way to the Author Luncheon in London. I’ll have to post one of those pics when our next continuity, the Notorious Wolfes, comes out next year. That’s what I’m working on right now Abby, how about you?

xx Jennie

5. Jennie Lucas
    April 26, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Oh my goodness Bing, I just saw your wonderful comment. It made me so happy that you loved the book – you’ve made my day! THANK YOU!

Jennie

6. Joanne
    April 26, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Hi Jennie – I just finished “Tamed” and I loooooooved it, just brilliant!

Like Bing, I couldn’t put it down and read the book cover to cover one afternoon.

I’m loving this series – 4 of my fav authors 🙂 can’t wait to read Trish and Annie’s 🙂

7. Kate Hewitt
    April 27, 2010 at 9:03 am

This series is so exciting to me, especially having worked on the Karedes series that comes before it. I’ve got all 4 books on my TBR pile, and I’m going to dive in as soon I’ve got a handle on the current WIP… whenever that is 😉

Jennie, I just read The Christmas Love-Child and gobbled it down in one sitting, during my baby’s naptime–when I should have been writing! I blame you for my lagging word count!

8. alex economides
    April 27, 2010 at 11:13 am

i loved this book….in fact i love all your books…..finished this book in one go……..
    i think u r a fabulous writer…..i have read all your books and can’t wait for your next one.

9. Jennie Lucas
    April 27, 2010 at 11:28 am

Joanne, thank you so much for your wonderful words about Tamed: The Barbarian King. Hearing that you read it in one sitting makes me so happy! THANK YOU! And like you, I can’t wait to see how Annie and Trish tie up the story of the ruthless Al’Ramiz brothers!

And Kate – I’m so glad you liked The Christmas Love-Child. Hehe! I’m really enjoying working with you on our big continuity for next year – The Notorious Wolfes! *hugs*

Jennie

10. Jennie Lucas
    April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm

ALEX! Thank you for saying such nice things about my books! It makes me so happy, especially as I’m sitting here with a head cold trying to puzzle out this next scene of my next book, your words just brought the biggest smile to my face!

Hearing from wonderful readers like you, Joanne and Bing means so much to me and makes all the late nights writing truly worth it. Thank you so much!

🙂 Jennie

11. Maya
    April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Jennie, I’m reading your book right now and I totally love the intensity between Kareef and Jasmine! Won’t give too much away, but this is an absolutely “must-read”! Keep up the good work!

Maya

Ps – Captcha is “citizens blenches” – what’s that about, lol.

12. Jennie Lucas
    April 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Wow, this has been such a fun time! I’ve loved hearing from readers!

Thanks, Maya, for all your kind words. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the intensity between Jasmine and Kareef. That means a lot to me – and so does your calling the story a “must-read”! Oh my word, that makes me happy. THANK YOU!!

Jennie
    P.S. My captcha is “hope wainscot” – sounds like a fortune cookie telling me a home remodel will soon be in order…

13. Maisey Yates
    April 29, 2010 at 1:45 am

Can’t wait to pick it up, Jenny! My TBR is getting crazy but I know I have room for one of your books. I *heart* your heroes. So dark and sexy. 🙂 The Christmas Love-Child was one of the best books I’ve read this last year. Loved it!

Maisey

14. Annie West
    April 29, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Jennie,

I’ve got your book on my bedside table. I’ve told myself I can read it when I get to a certain stage in my current project. Why is it taking so long, I ask myself? I’m so looking forward to reading the other 3 books in the series. I’ve read Carol’s and fell for that intense passion from the start. And I have such fond memories of discussing all the linking details with you and Carol and Trish. It will be such a treat seeing the finished products.