Why Santorini? by Trish Morey

by Trish Morey, author of His Mistress for a Million (Harlequin Presents, March 2010)

Some places you travel to and you just know it would be the perfect setting. Santorini was like that. When I arrived on the ferry from Crete, I swear the characters from His Mistress for a Million were right there on the dock waiting to meet me, they were so real. Or at least the hero, Andreas Xenides, was. Poor Cleo was still off cleaning bathrooms in a shabby London dive. Little did she know that was all about to change!

So how did I know Santorini was *the* place? Tell you what, I might let a few photos explain.

In short, how could I not set a book in Santorini? I just love the way the story turned out. I hope readers do too.

Trish Morey is thrilled that His Mistress in a Million is her first USA Today Bestseller! Thanks to everyone who made it possible!

zp8497586rq
  1. Maisey Yates
    March 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Trish, the photos are gorgeous! And your books are always gorgeous. Can’t wait to read this one. 🙂

2. Francine Howarth
    March 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Hi Trish,

I concur with every thing Maisie has voiced.

OMG, I’ve just posted similar on my blog. Re images and sound: invoking characters and plots for novels.

How weird is that?

best

Francine

3. Abby Green
    March 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm

This book was magical Trish and you captured Santorini better than any picture could have done…! (But they’re nice too). Oh to be there now…sigh.

4. Bianca
    March 5, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hi trish, i enjoyed reading the book, the characters were presented very nicely !
    Bianca

5. Lucy Monroe
    March 5, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Oh, Trish…I’d envy you, but I can’t imagine anyone deserving such a trip more and of course you share it with the rest of us by putting it in a book! You are the best! 🙂

Hugs,
    Lucy

6. Kelly Hunter
    March 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Oh, the envy! Pics are gorgeous, Trish. Armchair travelling is one of my favourite parts of a Presents read. Where to next?

7. Marilyn Shoemaker
    March 5, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I loved Santorini as well and I’m going to start reading His Mistress for a Million tomorrow! xx

8. Jane Holland
    March 5, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I went to Santorini with my family as a teenager, still remember it very well indeed. Those donkeys!

Good luck with the book!!

9. Little Miss Everywhere «
    March 5, 2010 at 9:12 pm

[…] | Tags: His Mistress for a Million, iheartpresents.com, Santorini And today I’m blogging at iheartpresents – more pix of Santorini for your […]

10. Trish Morey
    March 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Thank you Maisey! So glad you enjoyed the pics. Very much looking forward to reading your debut book!

Francine, hi. Is this a case of great minds think alike? It’s so true though, isn’t it, that we writers get our inspiration everywhere. It just happens. And thank heavens it does:-)

11. Trish Morey
    March 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Oh Abby, you are a sweetheart! Thank you. I’m so glad Santorini worked its way into the story. Be lovely to be there right now, I agree. The photos will just have to do for now, but I am going back some day, nothing surer:-)

Hello Bianca and thank you! I’m glad you liked the characters – in a novel as short as ours, that is so important. So glad you enjoyed it!

12. Trish Morey
    March 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Hey Lucy! It’s what we all do though, isn’t it? Share fabulous locations all around the world. I love reading Presents – I’ve been all over the world between their pages and I never get jet lag – perfect!

Ah Kelly, where to next? Gosh, I think we’re off to the island of Qusay for a bit of desert romance. Isn’t it fabulous the way we get around?:-)

13. Trish Morey
    March 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Marilyn, thanks for dropping by! Another Santorini lover – but then, who isn’t? I hope you enjoy the book!

Jane, I think it is a place that stays in your memories forever – everything is just so vivid – the sea and sky and dazzling white buildings against the black volcanic cliffs – just stunning.

I don’t think I’d fancy being a donkey and having to walk up and down those steps all day, but yeah, they’re so cute with their beads. A real feature.

14. Trish Morey
    March 5, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Ooh, and before I disappear and go work on my book – thanks so much Amy for posting this at such short notice! Lovely to wake up this morning to the sights of Santorini again. Just like being there:-))

15. Janette
    March 5, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Sigh. As summer winds down here, you’ve ignited my desire for more sun! Not sure I can scam a holiday to Santorini I’m afraid, but somewhere closer to home perhaps Bali? Hmmm off to google resorts!

PS – Loved the book!

16. Maisey Yates
    March 6, 2010 at 12:29 am

Trish, careful, you’re in danger of giving me heart failure. I’m still all kinds of starstruck…

17. Trish Morey
    March 6, 2010 at 1:22 am

Janette, keep us up to speed with your research. I”m up for a resort holiday anytime:-)) And chuffed you liked the book!

Maisey, I remember when the ed called to buy my first book and I thought, hey, it’s nice the editor liked it, but do I really want other people reading it?

That lasted all of a second and a half:-))

18. Tina Duncan
    March 6, 2010 at 1:35 am

Hi Trish,

I’ve never been to Santorini but your photo’s sure make me want to go. I can just picture a Presents hero striding through each shot. Can’t wait to read the book.

Tina

19. Trish Morey
    March 6, 2010 at 4:18 am

Tina, it’s a fabulous place to visit. Definitely Presents heroville!:-))

March 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Trish, I really loved this book, and your photos are lovely too. Not quite enough of them. I might have to go and take a few myself 🙂

21. Maisey Yates
    March 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm

LOL! Trish, I was rereading certain steamy scenes from A Mistake, A Prince And A Pregnancy last night and realizing my family members were going to read it…eek!!

22. Joanne Dannon
    March 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I loved ‘His Mistress for a Million’, it def made me want to visit Santorini and now seeing the photos *sigh*

23. Trish Morey
    March 6, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Hehehe, Maisey, oh yeah. And all the mums at playgroup and school will start looking at your hubby in an odd way:-))

24. Trish Morey
    March 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Hi Joanne and thank you so much! You know, I reckon I should be on commission from the Greek tourist agency after all this. Visitor numbers will soar:-))

Seriously, you must get there one day – simply breathtaking.

25. anne gracie
    March 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Trish, you rat! How is a gal supposed to sit in a cave and write when you’ve given her seriously itchy feet with those gorgeous pics? It’s aeons since I was on Santorini… sigh.

Hey, congratulations on the USA Today bestseller status — that’s wonderful!

26. Trish Morey
    March 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Hehehe Ms Gracie, call it incentive to finish the book so those itchy feet can start wandering.

I see some travel in your future:-)

And thank you for the congrats! Lovely news to get while battling the wip that keeps fighting back.

27. Christina Hollis
    March 8, 2010 at 1:43 am

Congratulations, Trish! Anne’s right – thinking about Santorini is way more exciting than revisions. My daughter will be trawling through the remains there soon – any chance of her finding a billionaire archaeologist, do you think?

28. Maisey Yates
    March 8, 2010 at 2:36 am

*snicker* Trish, whenever I tell people I know, even friends of my mom, that I write romance they say “Well, of course you do, you’re married to *Haven*.” He’s a very handsome man, so women already give him the beady eye and I imagine it’s only going to get worse now… 😀

29. Helen Bianchin
    March 8, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Santorini! I have a poster on my wall, and it’s high on my wish list of places to visit.

30. Trish Morey
    March 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Christina, I’m so envious of your daughter! What a fabulous experience. Tell her to watch out for tall dark billionaires who fund the dig and have a chip on their shoulder about young Englishwoman muscling in on Greek treasures but who are moved, unexpectedly, by such pale beauty. I saw loads of them while in Santorini, I swear:-)

Maisey, I think the beady eyes are going to be out big time now! Watch out:)

31. Trish Morey
    March 9, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Helen, you would adore it!

Thank you so much for popping by – you’re one of my favourite ever authors! Please keep them coming:-)

32. Lynn Raye Harris
    March 10, 2010 at 12:18 am

Well, I’m late as usual, but Trish, those pics are gorgeous! Alas, in all my years in Europe, I never made it to Greece. My mom and I took a Greek myths class together once, and we had to read The Odyssey. Ever since, we’ve wanted to go to Ithaka together. (Though Mom has been to Greece more than once, and used to live in Turkey.)

Can’t wait to read this book! I always love a Trish Morey novel!

33. Trish Morey
    March 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Lynn, clearly you’d adore Greece – all those myths and legends make so much sense when you’re there. I can’t wait to get back. As for Turkey – that’s on my wish list. Hopefully next year – fingers crossed!