Where To Next? by Kelly Hunter

by Kelly Hunter, author of Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate (Harlequin Presents, March 2010)

I’ve so enjoyed these last few blogs. All the wonderful March Presents stories making the USA Today Bestsellers List, Natalie’s Heroes Poll, and Trish’s beautiful Santorini pics…  Those two begged the question ‘Where to next?’ when it came to choosing glamorous international locations for future Presents stories. Paris, Venice, New York, where?

I’ve a Presents story out now (Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate) with the second story in that duet on the shelves in April (Revealed: A Prince and a Pregnancy). The first tale is set in Champagne, France. The second story starts in Sydney and moves to fictional Maracey (which is loosely based on Andorra). There was this Prince, you see, in need of a Principality.  I’ve also set stories in Hong Kong, Singapore, and on gorgeous Greek Islands.

Where else captures your imagination as a potential Presents setting for a story? Let me show you a few places that capture mine!

Rio de Janeiro (at Christmas or during Carnival)

Moscow (as in ‘Meet me in Red Square…’)

Venice (Do you really need to ask when?)

Paris (City of love)

Shanghai (for Chinese New Year or the Festival of the Hungry Ghosts!)

Note from Amy: both of Kelly’s in her Hot Bed of Scandal duet, Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate and Revealed: A Prince and a Pregnancy are are available now at both eHarlequin.com and the eHarlequin eBook Store.

1. Amy
    March 11, 2010 at 11:35 am

Kelly, I love that you were inspired by Andorra! I have had a soft spot for little ole Andorra since I saw their team at the 2008 Summer Olympics during the opening ceremonies — those fellas were lookin’ mighty fine. Such a small country, apparently such concentrated hotness… We needed an Andorran Presents hero! 🙂
    ~Amy

2. Maurine
    March 11, 2010 at 11:45 am

I actually prefer settings outside the U.S. Maybe because I live in the U.S. I don’t think of it as particularly glamourous. I don’t know. I’ve always wanted to visit Greece–pictures of it look so beautiful, and that is a frequent Presents setting.

I would love to visit Tahiti. Brazil is also a great setting. I think Egypt might be kinda cool with the pyramids, desert, and history. I’d like to visit there sometime too.

A Swiss chalet could be romantic with the right man. I think Italy would be quite nice as well.

3. Maisey Yates
    March 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Beautiful pics, Kelly! I’ll take tickets to all of them, please…or maybe I’ll just buy your books… 😀

4. Lucy Monroe
    March 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Delish pics…I’m with Maisey though, you could take us to all of them? 🙂

5. Janette
    March 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Yep – all of those places would be very nice and been to a few of them but am thinking I like the idea of Venice…
    An opulent masquerade ball, a night of music and mystique, the hero’s and heroine’s true identities concealed – they think they are strangers…till the masks come off!

6. Jackie Ashenden
    March 11, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Oooh, love the sound of all of them! London would be a great place as well. And I’m with Maurine – Greece would be fantastic. I could also add that the Croatian coast is pretty beautiful. Not sure how ‘Presents’ it is though! 🙂

7. Kelly Hunter
    March 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Amy, I agree. Nothing like a nation full of gorgeous people to increase our appreciation for the place.

Maureen, I have the same problem when it comes to thinking our Australian cities glamorous and inviting. Too much familiarity spoils the fantasy…, though I will confess an enduring fondness for the qualities inherent in our Aussie men.

8. Trish Morey
    March 11, 2010 at 6:28 pm

OOh, can I tick the “All of the above” box?

Love the pix, Kelly. Have no doubt that wherever you take us to, it’s going to be a fabulous book!

Congratulations on becoming a USA Today Bestseller!

9. Kelly Hunter
    March 11, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Maisey, that’s why I’m such a sucker for the Presents line. Instant romantic escape with fabulous location guaranteed.

Lucy, do you have a favourite Presents setting? I’m figuring you could cover a few too!

Janette, I have it on good authority that more than one of our Modern Heat authors will soon be winging their way to Venice for the sake of their art. It’s a tough job.

10. anna cleary
    March 11, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Yes indeedy. Even as we speak at least one new Venetian hero is being born.

Kelly, I adore all your locations. Can’t wait for the books that go with them! Take me away to somewhere exotic!

11. Janette
    March 12, 2010 at 1:25 am

Lucky for some. I love Venice, its one of my fave cities.

12. Christina Hollis
    March 12, 2010 at 2:41 am

Lovely pics, Kelly, and congratulations on your Best Seller!
    I love reading about places I’ve never been, so Greece has to be top of my ‘escape’ list.

13. Amy
    March 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Maurine, I read this line in a totally different way: “A Swiss chalet could be romantic with the right man.”

…because here in Canada there is a popular restaurant chain called Swiss Chalet! It’s not terribly romantic, though they do have great rotisserie chicken, LOL 🙂

Isn’t it funny how one place is exotic for one person but someone else’s backyard? For me, that’s what books set in Australia are like — the beaches, rainforests, surfing, etc. are all foreign to me! Though I supposed some parts of Toronto are glamourous — like the Yorkville area, where the celebrities hang out during the Film Festival. Or the h/h could escape to a multi-million dollar Muskoka cottage (Goldie Hawn has a cottage there you know!).

14. Maurine
    March 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Amy, no, I didn’t mean the restaurant. 😀 How about a chalet in Switzerland?

15. Maurine
    March 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Amy, Niagara Falls could be romantic.

16. Kelly Hunter
    March 12, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Amy and Maureen, have you seen the shortlived ‘Wonderfalls’? Was a tv series that only went for one season, but it made a tourist gift shop in niagra falls seem like a romantic place to be. Loved that show.

17. Kelly Hunter
    March 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Maurine, I misspelt your name. Apologies.

18. Maisey Yates
    March 12, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Kelly, so very true! The hot billionaires don’t hurt either!

19. Cruisin’ the Blog & Member’s News « Romance Writers of Australia
    March 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm

[…] Kelly has a great post over at iHeartPresents – Where To Next? by Kelly Hunter […]

20. Lucy Monroe
    March 14, 2010 at 6:29 pm

LOL I’m working on desert settings next – too many reader letters asking for a particular character’s story to ignore. Not that I’d want to…I can’t wait to get Zahir’s story done. He’s definitely preying on my mind. 😉

21. Maisey Yates
    March 14, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Oh! I’m in the desert right now too! We started in Paris thought. 🙂 And my ‘we’ I mean my hero and heroine. I, unfortunately, am neither in the gorgeous desert I’m writing about, or in Paris.

22. Caitlin Crews
    March 26, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Oh! That picture of Rio!

I want to move there right now. Right. Now.