Reuniting Lovers, by Nicola Marsh

by Nicola Marsh, author of Marriage: For Business or Pleasure? (Harlequin Presents, February 2010)

Is there anything quite as romantic as lovers reuniting?

I adore reading books with this theme.  There’s something special in seeing sparks fly between a hero and heroine who have ‘been there, done that’ before.

I love the snappy dialogue, the familiarity: with each other’s quirks, each other’s foibles, each other’s bodies…

In my current release, MARRIAGE: FOR BUSINESS OR PLEASURE?, Brittany Lloyd walked away from Italian bad boy Nick Mancini ten years ago.  Nick was her first love, her only love.  He stole her heart and her virginity.

Now, Britt’s back in Noosa for work and needs Nick’s help.  The rugged farm boy has become a successful hotelier and he’ll help Britt: for a price.

From the sun-drenched beaches of Noosa to the fantasy rooms in Nick’s hotel, from Jacaranda’s sugar cane plantations to Chelsea, London, Nick and Britt create sparks wherever they are!

Romantic Times magazine thought so too, with MARRIAGE: FOR BUSINESS OR PLEASURE? a Top Pick for February.

“This lovers-reunited tale is awash in passion, sensuality and plenty of sparks. The terrific characters immediately capture your attention, and from there, the pages go flying by.”

My favourite snippet from the book?

There’s a chapter where Nick and Britt reminisce about the past, in his old bedroom.  Nick still has the star medallion Britt gave him, she says it’s because he used to hang the stars and moon for her back then.  They make love.  Here’s how the chapter ends:

“She’d asked for the moon and stars.

Nick had delivered the whole damn solar system.”

So time to ‘fess up.  Any of you have any romantic tales to tell of reuniting with old lovers?

Nicola is giving away a signed copy of her current release, MARRIAGE: FOR BUSINESS OR PLEASURE?

To be in the running, share your lovers reunited story in the comments.

And for more romance and book giveaways, visit Nicola’s blog daily in the lead up to Valentine’s Day, to see hot heroes and the books they inspired for your favourite authors.

1. Caroline Storer
    February 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Ohhh it sounds delicious…can’t wait to read it. Caroline x

2. Caitlin Crews
    February 2, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Oh, I just love reunion stories! So much angst and pain and drama just lying there, ready to explode right along with the passion… Can’t wait!

3. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Enjoy, Caroline 🙂

4. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

You’re spot on, Caitlin!

All that history makes for angst 🙂

5. Mira Lyn Kelly
    February 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Sounds so great!! Reunited lovers are so much fun!!
    🙂
    Mira

6. Maisey Yates
    February 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I married my first and only love. He was my boss, then my friend, then my boyfriend, and then of course, my husband. We’ve been together since I was eighteen, no separation. So no chance for a reunion, but I think we’re quite sweet!

7. Natalie Anderson
    February 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Reuniting lovers! I think this can be hard – as a reader I really, really, REALLY have to be convinced its going to work for them this time – but when that happens its so romantic and so satisfying – and obviously you’ve done that here Nic with the RT Top PIck – meaning I simply MUST get my hands on a copy!!!!!!

8. Heidi Rice
    February 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Hi Nic

Have just finished writing my first ever reunion romance… And it was the hardest one yet to get right! So I give you major kudos for pulling off Nick and Brittany’s story so well.

Never had a reunion romance myself.. And when I think back to some of the guys I dated, boy do I know why!

And Maisey, that is really sweet, I’ve got a warm fuzzy feeling just thinking about you two.

Heidi x

9. Kimberly Lang
    February 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I like reunion books too. (In fact, I’m writing one now! Um, except for that short break where I went to read your book…) That sense of familiarity is fun to play with– conflict galore!

And RT is right about this book! I totally agree!

10. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm

They are fun, Mira!

That’s what I like, the room for previous sparks to reignite!

11. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm

That’s so sweet, Maisey 🙂
    So romantic!

12. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm

That’s what my lovely ed always says, Natalie, it has to be convincing!

13. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

lol, Heidi, I’m so with you there! Reunions with our past might not be so crash hot!

That’s why I write about them 😉

14. Nicola Marsh
    February 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Kim, my shelf buddy this month 🙂

15. anna cleary
    February 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Thing is Nic, I’m writing a reunion book now! Its my second one –the first was At the Boss’s Beck and Call with a secret baby to boot. I found that first one so hard to write, but I think I must have the hang of it now because this one isn’t nearly so tricky.
    Yours sounds wonderful, especially with that lovely Noosa setting. Congratulations on your RT top pick!

16. Laney4
    February 3, 2010 at 12:32 am

It took me ages to figure out if I had a “reunion” story for you, but I do recall a sort-of reunion story from about 30 years ago.
    I had dated a guy in college for a few months. It fizzled out. Can’t remember why we quit dating. We remained friends, though, and eventually became badminton partners for the college team.
    Met up with him a couple of years later. We were in his car and moved to his backseat while parked in a park. As we were kissing, a flashlight beamed in on us. It was a cop wanting to make sure everything was okay. (Yeah, right.)
    We have been friends ever since but nothing more…. Funny that.

17. Christina Hollis
    February 3, 2010 at 1:04 am

Congratulations on the Top Pick, Nicola – ‘Marriage: For Business or Pleasure’ sounds a great read!

18. Robyn Grady
    February 3, 2010 at 1:26 am

Reunion stories are my favorite too! And this is your Noosa book? Hope I didn’t miss its release in Oz. =)

Congrats on the Top Pick!

Robbie

19. SiNn
    February 3, 2010 at 2:47 am

Me and my fiance metwhen we were teenagers and well was a rocky road he moved away 2 months later we met back up again in 2001 and was online but we both had SO’s so well i avoided him like the plague because well simply i wasnt gonna be the other woman after about a year of back and forth we were single and we told eachother how we felt things were going awesome but about 6 months in he got scared because wll things in his life made him believe love didnt exist and he wasnt feeling what he was we broke up was a hard sad break upa nd for 8 months we dirfted with out eachother i moved to another state which was closer to where he was we found eachother again and have been together for the last 6 years we have two awesome kids and its along road sure we work hard everyday totell eachother how we feel and so far so good

20. Maisey Yates
    February 3, 2010 at 3:09 am

Thanks Heidi and Nic. 🙂 It’s little wonder I ended up writing romance…

Captcha words are In Grunted…I’m not touchin’ that one…nope.

21. Joanne Dannon
    February 3, 2010 at 4:23 am

I looooove reunion stories 🙂 and have just started reading Marriage, for Business or Pleasure 😀

22. Nicola Marsh
    February 3, 2010 at 4:58 am

I love reunion stories, Anna.

Come to think of it, I’ve written quite a few!
    Let me see…from memory, ‘Found: His Family’, ‘Purchased for Pleasure’, ‘The Billionaire’s Baby’, ‘Hot Nights with a Playboy’…yikes! A recurring theme for me, maybe?

Guess I’m a sucker for second time around romances 🙂

23. Nicola Marsh
    February 3, 2010 at 4:58 am

Oooh…I was waiting for you to say you ended up with the cop, Laney!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

24. Nicola Marsh
    February 3, 2010 at 4:59 am

Thanks Christina and Robbie!

No, you haven’t missed it, Robbie.
    It’s on OZ shelves this month!

25. Nicola Marsh
    February 3, 2010 at 5:00 am

Wow, SiNn, that’s a real life reunion story!

Love a happy ending 🙂

26. Nicola Marsh
    February 3, 2010 at 5:00 am

Best you don’t touch that one, Maisey 😉

27. Nicola Marsh
    February 3, 2010 at 5:01 am

Oooh…hope you enjoy it, Joanne!

28. JV
    February 3, 2010 at 11:31 am

I have a reunion story but without the happy ending. I fell in love for the first time when I was 14, and he was 15. We were together until I was 17. The problem was that we were just too intense, too young. (He was truly one of the world’s great kissers!) I wasn’t ready to take the next step, but he was. When we broke up, I was sure my love life was finished because my heart was broken.

At 19, he married someone else and was divorced shortly thereafter. We ran into each other a while after that, and he took me out and asked me to come back to him. The emotion was still there, but by that time, what we expected out of life had changed too much. So, we amicably went our separate ways, though he would occasionally come by my parents’ house to talk.

Fast forward 32 years. My DH and I were in the bank one Saturday morning, and I heard a voice I recognized nearby. I looked over, and guess who I saw? He was always thin, and he hadn’t put on a pound, I suspect, since we were teenagers. Didn’t have much grey in his hair, either, though mine is loaded with it. However, he was walking differently, dragging one foot a bit.

I was hesitant to speak to him, mostly because some guys don’t react well when you encounter a former love. DH, God bless him, told me I should go over and talk to him, so I did. He’d had some sort of a disk problem in his neck for which he’d had surgery that had left him with some minimal paralysis in his leg. Needless to say, without a college education, that limited his career options even more, and he is living from paycheck to paycheck pretty much. He hugged me, and I introduced DH to him and showed him pictures of our daughter.

At the end, he thanked me so much for taking the time to talk to him. It was a bittersweet moment. On the one hand, I was glad that I’d wound up where I had in life with my DH, who’s an amazing man. On the other hand, I think you always hold a tender spot in your heart for your first love, and it was hard to see him struggling with physical and financial problems.

29. Brenda
    February 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I love reunion stories, your story sounds great can’t wait to read it.

30. Melanie Milburne
    February 3, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Nicola, I adore reunion stories as you probably know. I think at least a third of mine are about ex-lovers. You are so right about the angst and the emotional depth that can be delved into and drawn out.
    Congratulations on the Top Pick-so well deserved.
    Mel

31. lidia
    February 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love well written re-union stories. In order to be believe in a HEA for the couple something has to be different for them in the present — misconceptions cleared up, the couple being more mature, etc… Otherwise it would seem that they would run into the same problems they had in the past.

32. Maire Aine
    February 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Nicola,
    You never forget that first love. What makes that love so special is when you find each other again. When the spark ignites after separation and you realize you were meant to be together, it is magical.

I purchased your book today and I can’t wait to read your book.

Slan.
    Maire Aine

33. Nicola Marsh
    February 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Wow, JV, that’s a real ‘full circle’ story.

And you’re right, I think we do save a little tender spot in our hearts for our first love.

34. Nicola Marsh
    February 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Brenda, hope you enjoy it!

35. Nicola Marsh
    February 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thanks so much, Melanie, it’s definitely a fave theme of mine too 🙂

36. Nicola Marsh
    February 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Lidia,
    that’s a valid point and one my editor makes before I tackle a reunion story!

37. Nicola Marsh
    February 4, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Maire Aine,

That’s what makes me wonder…will a spark exist after many years separation?

While I ponder, I write about it and ensure those sparks do exist 🙂

Enjoy the book!

38. Nicola Marsh
    February 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for stopping by!

The winner of Marriage: For Business or Pleasure? is SiNn.

Please email me privately!

And I almost forgot! This book hit the USA TODAY bestseller list yesterday so I’m chuffed 🙂