Modern Heat Writing Competition!
Introducing Editor Joanne Carr and an exciting opportunity for all aspiring Modern Heat authors!
Many of you may already know me, but I thought I’d take the time to introduce myself properly. My name is Joanne Carr and I have been working at Harlequin Mills & Boon for just over five years. I was an avid reader of Mills & Boon before joining the company, so getting a job in Editorial was like a dream come true! I am currently managing the Modern Heat series whilst Senior Editor Bryony Green is on maternity leave.
But I am not just here to say ‘hi” – I have something exciting to tell you…
Based on the success of the Instant Seduction competition that we ran earlier this year, we have decided to call on all aspiring Modern Heat authors and are launching:
The FEEL THE HEAT writing competition!
Do you have a fresh, vibrant, sassy voice and a passion for sexy alpha heroes? Can you write sparky dialogue, create great sensual tension and hot love-scenes?
If so, then we want to hear from you!
- Email your first chapter and synopsis of a Modern Heat novel to: email@example.com by 15th September 2008
- The WINNER receives an editor for a year!
- TWO RUNNERS-UP will be given critiques of their first chapter entries and an editorial telephone consultation!
- The winner will be announced October 1st 2008
The Modern Heat guidelines can be found here Writing Contest: Mills & Boon Modern Heat Writing Guidelines and I have asked some of our existing Modern Heat authors to blog throughout this period to share writing tips and their experiences.
If you look through the I Heart Presents archives (particularly for November and December 2007) you will find many useful tips and guidelines that are relevant for this competition.
And now for the serious part!
- Your entry must be aimed at Modern Heat
- Your entry must NOT have been submitted previously to Harlequin Mills & Boon
- Only ONE entry per person
- Submissions received after the closing date will NOT be assessed!
More detailed legal rules will be posted at a later date.
We look forward to hearing from you soon and I will be back to give you updates!
Updated to add: official rules are now available here.